Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.…Read full bio
Jane is an experienced editor for EaseUS focused on tech blog writing. Familiar with all kinds of video editing and screen recording software on the market, she specializes in composing posts about recording and editing videos. All the topics she chooses …Read full bio
Melissa is a sophisticated editor for EaseUS in tech blog writing. She is proficient in writing articles related to screen recording, video editing, and PDF file conversion. Also, she's starting to write blogs about data recovery, disk partitioning, data backup, etc.…Read full bio
Jean is recognized as one of the most professional writers in EaseUS. She has kept improving her writing skills over the past 10 years and helped millions of her readers solve their tech problems on PC, Mac, and iOS devices.…Read full bio
Jerry is a fan of science and technology, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. He loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. All the topics he chooses aim to offer users more instructive information.…Read full bio
Larissa has rich experience in writing technical articles. After joining EaseUS, she frantically learned about data recovery, disk partitioning, data backup, screen recorder, disk clone, and other related knowledge. Now she is able to master the relevant content proficiently and write effective step-by-step guides on various computer issues.…Read full bio
Rel has always maintained a strong curiosity about the computer field and is committed to the research of the most efficient and practical computer problem solutions.…Read full bio
Gemma is member of EaseUS team and has been committed to creating valuable content in fields about file recovery, partition management, and data backup etc. for many years. She loves to help users solve various types of computer related issues.…Read full bio
Page Table of Contents
MKV (Matroska Video) is a multimedia container format; however, most people use it to store standard media content like tv shows and movies. Though it offers better quality videos in large size format, it creates issues for users while playing such files.
The default media players like Windows Media Player and QuickTime cannot play MKV files. And it's the main reason people start finding an alternative MKV player, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
After exploring several players, below is a handpicked list of the top 12 MKV players with their unique features for everyone, including Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android users!
Recommended MKV Players:
- EaseUS RecExperts
- DivX Player
- Media Player Classic
- All Player
- FreeSmith Video Player
- Infuse 7
- VLC Media Player
- GOM Player
EaseUS RecExperts is a credible and comprehensive screen recording software that enables you to play MKV files on both Windows and macOS. Besides MKV, it also supports a long list of formats like AVI, FLV, GIF, MP4, FLAC, OGG, etc. Its extra efficiency, HD video quality, and superb recording features make it stand above the other media players.
Furthermore, you can record Google Meet meetings, video streaming, gameplay highlights, and more. Also, it lets you select the output audio/video formats according to your preferences. Even you are able to preview these recordings with its built-in media player. Simply, it can assist you in multiple tasks by working as a media player, recorder, or editor.
- Offer an easy, fast, smooth, and simple video playback
- Provide flexibility to record the full screen or a portion
- Record full screen on Windows 10 with easy operation
- Adjust the output quality, frame rate, bitrate, sample rate
- Let you use the auto-stop, auto-split, and task scheduler feature
Download it and follow the steps to start playing an MKV file now!
Learn about the top 12 MKV players for Windows/Mac/iPhone/Android in 2022!
Considering some premium video player with speed control for Mac users, EImedia is the best choice. It allows you to play almost any format in the desired way. Also, you can play Blu-ray videos without any third-party codec installation.
Being a versatile tool, it helps you achieve HD video playback without interruptions. Even if you encounter sound synchronization issues with Mac files, you can easily adjust the audio.
- Support formats like DAT, AVI, FLV, MKV, MP4, etc.
- Offer the video tuner and sound equalizer option
- Change the playback speed if required
- Lose quality while tapping back & forth
- Bring about issues while uploading local storage files
- Not suitable for the first-time users
Learn about the top 8 OGG Player Recommended in 2022!
MPlayerX is one of best music players for Windows 10 that can also be used to play MKV files. Due to its support for MPlayer and FFMPEG, you can play videos of any format without additional codec packages and plugins.
Swiping, tapping, and pinching are some of its other playback features. Even it provides you with the DTS and AC3 stream to give the theater experience at home. Finally, you can control the playback with Apple Remote Control System.
- Compatible with other Apple products
- Allow you to play online videos on YouTube
- Offer the innovative multi-touch control system
- The system frequently crashes while playing videos
- Lack of the playlist creation feature
- Use the high CPU potential to work
DivX Player is a full-fledged program that supports an extensive range of formats like MKV, AVI, FLV, MP4, DivX, etc. Besides enabling you to play videos of up to 4K UHD resolution, it lets you stream them on Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA).
Furthermore, you can create and loop your desired playlist if required. It even keeps track of your previously played videos using its advanced media library.
- Offer the high-efficiency video coding playback feature
- Organize your private and purchased videos separately
- One of the best FLV players that you can find
- Display of pop-up ads on the interface
- Limited features in the free version
- Slow down while playing large videos
Another simple yet powerful MKV player is Media Player Classic which is capable of playing WAV files, playing MP4, MKV, etc., along with some unique features. Not only does it support high-resolution videos, but it also plays your videos smoothly.
Direct video acceleration technology is also offered to play videos without installing third-party decoders. Also, you can either customize the subtitles or search on the internet for whatever you are playing already.
- Support Blu-ray, CDs, DVDs, and DVB TV signals
- Let you play large video files without buffering
- Offer good compatibility and high playback speed
- False claim to search subtitles from directories
- It does not offer the streaming function
- No availability of any help guide
If you are in search of an advanced media player, All Player is an excellent solution. It provides fast forwarding and rewinding options while playing videos in different formats.
It helps you create a playlist where you can turn on the random or repeat mode and pin your favorite tracks. Last but not least, its equalizer settings allow you to adjust the brightness, hue, and saturation.
- Open audio, video, URL, and CD files
- Add subtitles to MP4 in desired color
- Let you play videos in full-screen mode
- Annoying pop-up ads on the system
- User-interface is outdated
- No updates since 2017
SMPlayer is an efficient application available on the Microsoft Windows store. You can play videos through a device, directory, Disc, TV, Radio, or URL. Also, it is possible to use the YouTube browser to play the videos directly.
It offers you a great set of features for audio, video, and subtitles management with the sole purpose of helping you in getting an excellent watching experience. Even you can zoom, rotate, and change the size & aspect ratio of the video.
- Change the preferences as per your needs
- Add the audio and subtitle tracks to the videos
- Support deinterlacing and screen casting function
- The interface isn't intuitive and attractive
- It may not play YouTube videos sometimes
- Let you encounter the bugs issues
In case you are wondering for a sleek and straightforward video player, FreeSmith Video Player proves to be the stopper. Some of its best features include the best free screen recorder, hotkeys, and multiple codecs to offer an immersive viewing experience.
However, the rotate and crop out functions are what make it unique compared to other MKV players. Moreover, you can enjoy its downloading program to play various movie file types.
- Give you the minimalist user interface
- Support the Blu-ray discs
- Offer the clear and high-quality video
- Work slowly on the old PCs
- The full-screen mode can be complex to use
- Work like Windows Media Player
Regarding the free and famous MKV Player for Windows users, KMPlayer is the best choice. Also, you are allowed to play MP4 on Mac or other devices from multiple social sites via URL directly. It aids you in playing various formats in either simple or VR mode.
Plus, you can swap the frame order anytime using its 3D menu. Even the feature of creating a playlist of your favorite videos is possible.
- Offer PC version for easy accessibility
- Support the current screen capturing option
- Let you zoom, rotate, and adjust the aspect ratio
- Only the beta version is available for Mac users
- Lack of the audio/video equalizer option
- Take extra system potential while playing videos
Infuse 7 is a fantastic way to play WAV files on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. It provides you with syncing and streaming options, which let you play UHD videos of the local storage and other devices as well.
Even you can easily play videos directly via URL. Plus, its unmatched support for subtitles and Airplay make it even more worth using.
- Integrate with Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive
- Let you connect to Plex for streaming videos
- Keep the videos organized in the library by Genre
- No advanced playback options
- It does not work well on the iPad
- Not a cost-effective app for paid users
VLC Media Player is an all-in-one program that works as a player and converter. With an ads-free interface, it assists you in playing discs, local storage files, webcams, and streams over the internet.
Plus, you are able to use the advanced audio and video playback features. Even it offers fast hardware decoding on several platforms. Not only this, but you can add subtitles, filters, and effects to the videos.
- No user tracking and no spyware
- Support DVD, OGM, DVB, and others
- Let you effortlessly record the videos
- Slow processing compared to new players
- Incapable of advanced video editing features
- The beginners need some tutorials to function
GOM Player is a free media player that plays almost all the video formats with a high immersion level. It offers advanced playback control for any media type like audio, video, and subtitles.
Besides searching and archiving the subtitles, you can easily select the desired language to watch your favorite show. Even it provides you with an additional mini web feature for browsing purposes.
- Offer vivid 360-degree VR playback
- Support videos of up to 4K UHD movies
- Create a playlist and reorder the videos anytime
- It may be complex for first-time users
- The installation package includes unnecessary programs
- Sometimes offer a choppy video playback
FAQs about MKV Player
We collected three most frequently asked questions related to MKV player below. Let's check them one by one.
1. What player can play MKV?
In this article, we listed 12 multimedia players that can play MKV files with easy steps. Among them, we suggest Windows and Mac users download and use EaseUS RecExperts as it can be used to both play and record MKV files.
2. Can VLC play MKV files?
The answer is yes. VLC player is capable of playing most multimedia files that you know, including MKV files. It also supports converting the MKV video to other formats like MP4. If you want to convert your MKV files, you can try this tool.
3. Is MKV better than MP4?
Both of them have their own USPs. While MP4 has clear strengths like easy to stream, MKV is better supported in free software. Therefore, you can choose as you want.
Reading all the reviews about different software would have made it easier to opt for a program to carry out your task. However, you must select one that meets your device requirements and personal demands.
Though each MKV player has specifications and is good enough to use, the leading one is the EaseUS RecExperts. The reason is its intuitive interface, easy & quick functioning, high-quality results, and extensive list of features. What else do you need in an ideal player?